Monday, May 21, 2012

Stop 6: CHAPEL HILL, NORTH CAROLINA


"Be as you wish to seem"
-Socrates


Good
School spirit…everywhere! Almost everyone had Tarheels or UNC written on their clothing, key lanyards, school supplies, anything. I think the school spirit starts with the basketball team and other various good sports teams at UNC, but the atmosphere is translated into every facet of the school including academics, clubs, and Greek life. Everyone at UNC really wants to be there and genuinely loves it-or at least that’s what I seemed to pick up.

Visiting with high school friends, midnight breakfast, lunch in The Pit (the central student union area), getting access to a wedding ceremony at the Carolina Inn, and visiting with my great aunt and uncle for the first time were among my favorite experiences.

Bad
Two months ago someone broke into my car and stole my GPS. And now, somehow the new GPS broke. The motherboard was disconnected…whatever that means.  And I lost my Ipod. Either the universe is trying to tell me that technology should be less prominent in my life or it’s a good thing I have an Iphone.

Lame (yet sneaky)
How to avoid parking tickets:
 “Car malfunction. Tow truck scheduled to come at 10am. Please do not ticket.”

Crazy
I arrived on LDOC (last day of classes), which is an excuse to party and be crazy before exams. So of course I got a taste of the “non-academic” aspect of UNC.

Quote
Be content with your situation. This was my first time in the South, and the pace slowed way down. I loved it. People were productive and happy, but didn’t have to run around like crazy people all of the time trying to fit too many things into their schedule. People made eye contact and were happy to strike up a genuine conversation with a stranger.

 I wish to seem approachable, intelligent, and fun. Often I think people try to be something they are not. I wish there was a way to connect how we actually feel to what we project to other people. In my opinion, we would all get along much better if this connection were achieved because people would be honest, raw, and real rather than hide behind a façade. Do I hide behind a façade? Yes. I think everyone does, to some degree. The people in the South seemed to be vocal about and connected to their thoughts and feelings, which was refreshing. 

Explore UNC right now

Orange County Literacy Council

Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe

Top of the Hill Bar and Grill

Sid's Surplus Store

Weaver Street Market

Open Eye Cafe

Elmo's Diner

No comments:

Post a Comment