Thursday, April 19, 2012

Stop 2: PORTLAND, MAINE


"Governing a great nation is like cooking a small fish - too much handling will spoil it"
-Lao Tzu 



Good: I go to school 30 minutes from Portland, and I had never seen this side of the city before. It was so welcoming and had a laid back feel. People something describe Maine as being very "granola," and I never really understood that until filming Portland. I think of "granola" as loving the outdoors, wearing casual clothing, strolling without intention, and playing an instrument because you love, not because you have to. And also on a random note, I loved my cupcake from East End Cupcakes! It was strawberry with cream cheese frosting in case anyone was wondering.

Bad: I lost at Tiddly Winks...a lot.

Crazy: Someone ran up to me in Monument Square where there were lots of people preaching. He shook my hand and asked "Have you ever lied before...have you ever cheated...have you ever stolen anything...if you were to die in 1 second where would you go?" I was really taken aback and said "I guess it depends on what you define as heaven and hell" and he walked away from me. Now, this really made think about things, because I just did a research project about why people engage in "bad" behavior like lying, stealing, and cheating. Already, I'm seeing quantitative research turning qualitative...which is the point of this whole endeavor. 

Lame: I spelled "known" as "know" in one of the text images in the video, if anyone noticed. I do know how to speak English though, hopefully you trust me.

Quote: I chose this quote for Portland because the city felt so free and chill, for lack of a better word. Any bricks that were on your shoulders just didn't exist when walking around the streets. The air was crisp and refreshing. I felt like people in Portland were not the high-horse business type who functioned on a schedule. Portlanders were more beating to their own drum and encouraging others to have rich, meaningful experiences that nurtured their well-being. 

Explore ideas from Portland Online:

Consuming Fire

Cupcakes

Political Cartoonist

Strange Maine Gazette

The Green Hand Bookstore

Yoga Studio in Yarmouth

No comments:

Post a Comment